Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Look of Dad

Growing up, I got along with my parents.

I know, shocker, right?  I didn't ever have any crazy, dramatic periods of my life where I fought with either of my parents like a lot of teenagers do.  (I don't think any of my siblings did... so the common denominator would be that our parents did a good job... not that I was an a-typical teenager.)  However, there were still moments (especially when I was little) when I got "The Look."  You know what I mean... times when you were getting close to crossing the line, or maybe stepped over a leetle bit, and your parent gave you a look that said, "Watch Out, Missy!" 

My mom's "look" isn't terribly intimidating, but if she squeezes her lips together, you know she's upset with you.  It's a difficult look to describe, but her upper lip gets these deep, vertical wrinkles.  I can't recreate the look, even if I try.  I don't know how she does it.  I haven't inherited my mother's look, although her gestures and phrases sometimes appear unawares.

My dad's "look," on the other hand, is the epitome of all looks.  It's a look to make you squirm, shudder, shake in your boots, and put the FEAR in you faster than anything else!  Dad's look is easy to describe... his eyebrows go UP approximately 9.75 inches and rows of wrinkles appear on his forehead.  I don't know if it's the piercing gaze that is so intimidating or those wrinkles.  Until the day I die, I will always remember the wrinkles. 

For better or for worse, I have inherited the Look of Dad.  Sometimes (not always when dealing with my son, although I think the Look first appeared on my face after he was born) I will just feel The Look on my face, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I was to look in the mirror, I'd probably scare myself.  I am resigned to The Look (I'm used to it after seeing it all growing up), but there is a small part of me that wishes it wasn't quite so masculine a look.  I am a mommy, after all!  However, as I said, my parents and I always got along really well, so maybe The Look of Dad will serve me well after all.  I just hope the wrinkle lines don't become permanent, because they might age me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!