Monday, September 30, 2013

Rat-a-tat-tat-a-tat Rum-a-tum-tum

Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Amy. She loved it when her mommy would read books to her. One of her favorite books for mommy to read was The Boy With a Drum.



Amy loved the story of the little boy whose drumming inspired all of the animals to go a'marching. She loved the rhythm and the rhyme of the tale. She loved listening to her mommy's voice saying the words.

A few years later, when Amy grew up and had children of her own, she still loved to read The Boy With a Drum. Now, she was the mommy and it was her own voice telling the story of the sweet little boy and all of the animals.

There once was a boy 
with a little toy drum - 
Rat-a-tat-rat-a-tat 
Rum-a-tum-tum



The book was old when Amy was little. It is older still now. Though the pages are worn and ripped in places and the cover has been taped on too many times to count, Amy cannot bear the thought of getting rid of it.

They all marched away
to the top of a hill -
If they haven't stopped marching
They'll be marching still.


This is the final Blogtember post! Prompt: a picture of something old. Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. Awww soooo awesome. Love this, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabitha! I enjoyed your final Blogtember post, too!

      Delete
  2. So sweet! I'm not a mom yet but one of the things I look forward to the most is reading to my kids. I used to love when my mom would read to me. I would actually memorize the books to the point where I could fool people into thinking I could read already lol. My mom saved those books so someday I'll have them to read to my kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention that, Krystal! I memorized the books back then, too. It's almost eerie, but I can still recite some of them by memory all these years later! And motherhood is the absolute best. It's the hardest work of your life, but certainly the most rewarding. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!