Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Origins

I'm Italian on my Dad's side of the family. Both of his parents are Italian, and you know what that means... My very own Italian grandma! Mmm... If I could have any meal in the world, it would be one of Nonna's Sunday dinners. Homemade pasta, homemade sauce, roast beef (or pork!), steamed veggies, salad, and something sweet to finish. If I'm really lucky, Nonna will make gnocchi. *sigh* Just thinking about it makes me hungry. Nonna taught me a few things, and when I can, I make my own pasta and sauce.

Forgive the terrible photography - this is the real deal, though!
It's not ALL about the food, but a lot of my family memories on my dad's side revolve around the kitchen and the table and tons of delicious food. (Interesting note - no one on my dad's side is terribly overweight despite all of that food.)

I grew up hearing the stories of my Italian heritage. My Nonna's father was a first generation immigrant. He owned a grocery store - his very own Italian market! I get excited just thinking about it. My Nonna grew up in the apartment above the store. Oh, the stories she can tell! I think I learned my love for history from listening to her tell stories about her life and the lives of her family members.

This month, I'm blogging along with Jenni from Story of My Life for her "Blogtember" challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!