Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day Sixteen: Something difficult in my life and how I'm working to overcome it


I thought about this topic for several days, trying to come up with something that is difficult in my “lot in life” right now and how I’m working to overcome it. First of all, life is hard. No matter what, everyone has their own difficulties, struggles and pain. I'm no different.

However, everything I can think of that I could write about today seems really petty and small compared to the struggles that others (like Heather, whose little boy was born with CHD and is in the hospital… pray for him!) are currently experiencing, or even to the struggles I’ve endured through the years. Things are just not that bad right now. Sure, I could come up with a long list of complaints, like lack of sleep, or the fact that The Project is overtaking our lives right now, or the check engine light that came on in the car, or sleep regression in Little Brother. But in the grand scheme of life, those things are insignificant. The Hubs, Big Brother, Little Brother and I are doing well. We are healthy. We are fed, clothed, and have more than enough to share with others.  I praise God for that!

I recently read Lysa TurKeurst’s book, Unglued. She talks about how easily we allow daily circumstances to affect our attitudes. Something she said stuck with me (don't you love it when you read a book and glean some practical wisdom from it? I do). She says when she starts to feel herself coming “unglued” over those little things that always crop up, she tells herself, “If this is the worst thing that happens today, it’s still a pretty good day.” And you know what? I’ve tried it, and it helps me keep things in perspective. Little Brother is crying for no apparent reason? If that's the worst thing that happens, it's still a pretty good day. Big Brother has three potty accidents? Doesn't mean it's a bad day. The check engine light comes on in my car? Well, it could certainly be a lot worse. Praise the Lord!

So, I guess you could say I have all of the normal difficulties, and the way that I’m working to overcome them is to try to keep them in perspective… I like to call it eternal perspective.  As it says in Ecclesiastes 3:11, God has put eternity in my heart. May I always remember to look at things through the lens of His word!

2 comments:

  1. This is so true Amy. A constant struggle for everyone. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When our middle daughter had a baby boy named Samuel, who was born without a brain, (yet he lived for 13 days), we soon realized that all of the "other stuff" in life was not all that important. In the days, weeks and years afterwards when trials arose, we always said...."well this is not a life or death situation...and with the Lord's help we will get through this!" He got us through the loss of life of our Samuel, and then also another little baby boy named Josiah who lived 5 days, and then the loss of our Anna...who lived 6 years! And He gets us through each and everyday, no matter what happens! With God all things are possible.

    Good post Amy!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!