Thursday, July 25, 2013

Day Twenty-Five: Something someone said to you that you will never forget

Words really impact me deeply. I think this is true for everyone, but since I tend to be overly sensitive, it's a struggle for me not to allow the words people say about me carry too much weight. Because of this, I was overwhelmed with ideas for this post's topic! Narrowing it down, I was trying to decide between a "negative" comment and the best compliment I ever received. I hope it balances the post out if I tell both.

A female relative told me that I had a large derriere (the actual words used were more crass than that) when I was twelve years old. If you are a female reading this post, you need no further explanation. Those words haunt me to this day, even though I know better in my head. Those are the kinds of negative words that if I don't consciously fight them, I can get really discouraged and insecure. Words are powerful.

More than a dozen years ago, someone told me that I displayed "the incorruptible ornament of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (I Peter 3:4) That was the best compliment I have ever received. I don't know if it was true at the time, but because that person sincerely thought it was, I have strived ever since to make it so. It's become a goal, if you will. While this particular person isn't a part of my life any more, I am thankful to have had that lifelong, unforgettable encouragement. Words are powerful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!