Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Even More Unpleasantness...

I am not exactly sure, but I think my son forgets that Momma means business sometimes.  It is so very difficult to be consistent in discipline!  It seems like he chooses the exact moment when I'm in the middle of a task that would be extremely inconvenient to pause (like cleaning the bathroom? Nothing like toilet-water-hands for spankings!) to test my authority.  I took today off work because we are leaving for a trip tomorrow and I wanted a day to clean, pack and prepare.  The two of us have been home all day, busy as little bees (I pause every ten or fifteen minutes to engage in some kind of activity with him--- tickling, throwing the ball, rolling cars, dancing, reading a book, etc.).  However, I've had to spank him twice already!  This seems like a lot to the mom who isn't usually home all day with her son!  And both times it was incredibly inconvenient for me! 

I guess this struggle doesn't ever go away... discipline doesn't come naturally.  Because even though I know better, I sat there looking at my disobedient child, hands wet, just willing him to obey so that I wouldn't have to stop what I was doing for the sake of consistency.  Here I am, again, tempted to overlook what I know I shouldn't, just because the timing isn't just so.  Still as selfish as ever, huh, Amy?  And he, obstinate bundle of cuteness that he is, continued in his disobedience!  Bless him, God is using him to train ME.  So, I stopped what I was doing and spanked that little sinner.  Tears, followed by obedience, followed by hugs and admonitions to obey "right away next time;" and NOW I could complete the cleaning of the bathroom.

Please tell me that you have the same struggle with consistency!  And that I'm not the only one who is tempted not to spank just because the little guy is so stinking cute in his badness!  I have a dreadfully hard time not laughing (I have to bite my lips together so he won't know I'm tempted to do so!) at his disobedience because the look of defiance on his face is just so funny

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Amy, sometimes I read your blogs and wonder if you peeked into my mind before writing them! Motherhood is way harder than I ever imagined--the diapers, sleepless nights, and round-the-clock feedings is the easy part! I think the hardest part is trying to become the person *I* need to be in order to lead them by example. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have been many times when I didn't want to spank Ian for many reasons. He's cute or tired or I'm tired or whatever. Consistency is very hard. But you are right in doing it. Hard but so very important. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!