Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dear Diary, Runing and I have a love/hate relationship. Love, Amy

Oddly enough, running six miles today felt like a piece of cake, probably because I ran nine miles last week.  I don't know how I did it, but I ran it in less than an hour, too, which seems like a miracle in itself!  Hey, I'll take it. 

I've been told that running is addictive.  Maybe so, but I must be immune to the addiction.  When I first began this running journey back in May, I looked forward to my running time.  In fact, I found it exhilerating!  As time goes on, however, more often than not I am NOT excited to go running.  It has come to feel a little bit like ... work!  Don't get me wrong, once I get going I enjoy it and I feel GREAT afterwards.  Let me clarify that: I feel tired, but have a sense of accomplishment that is highly satisfying. 

Part of the problem is that I have a difficult time finding the TIME to run... specifically, my long runs.  Nine miles is ninety minutes minimum, and as I continue to add miles the time multiplies as well.  The long runs do a number on my shins and joints for a few hours after I run, as well.  That in itself isn't horrible, as I have yet to suffer from shin splints or any other injury (praise the Lord!) due to lots of stretching, boswellia and cherry juice.  Still, it's not something I like to inflict on myself (not pain, exactly, but certainly throbbing and discomfort). 

I am still committed to seeing this through... I am going to run the Prairie Fire Half-Marathon on October 9th, Lord willing! Once that race is completed, though, I think I'm going to go back to walking and other low-impact aerobics as my primary exercise.  I don't want to take the time to fuel a running addiction.

One more word... I have discovered the sheer joy of cute workout clothes.  I bought myself some nike running shorts and tshirts and I must say, it IS a lot more comfortable to run in them than in my usual workout garb (which could only be described as grunge... ten-year-old volleyball shorts and baggy tshirts ring a bell?  I usually look straight out of a garage sale when I work out), so that's a plus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!