Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Sword V22

"Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment."
Proverb 12:19

I remember telling my mom a lie when I was about five years old. The thing about lying to your mom is that you feel terrible about it afterwards. It is even more terrible when your mom discovers your lie and punishes you for it. I don't know if my mom remembers this pivotal moment in my life, but I distinctly do.

Our kitchen counter opened into the dining room area. I was standing in the dining room, leaning over the counter as my mom worked on the other side.

"I will never lie to you again, Mommy," I told her.

"You won't?" she asked in her gentle way. "Why not?"

"Because," I confided, "It isn't worth it."

I remember being fully convinced of that fact, and ever since have strived to make honesty an integral part of all of my communication. Anyone who says that a life lesson cannot be learned at five, take heed. I learned not to lie when I was five.

I love this proverb because it reminds me that the truth will ALWAYS endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!