Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mommy Moments

I’ve had a few “mommy moments” lately.  Being a mom is so indescribably precious to me.  On Sunday, I got out my box of pictures of My Sweetums and all of my scrapbooking things and started working on a scrapbook.  However, the Little Mister kept interrupting me!  He needed a drink; he wanted to be held; he wanted to dance; he wanted me to play ball with him; he needed his diaper changed; it was time to eat lunch; etc.  I was starting to get a little bit frustrated, but then I said to myself, it seems a little bit ironic to say to your son, “No, son, I’m too busy scrapbooking pictures of you to play with you right now.  I’m going to need this scrapbook when you’re 30 to remember how sweet you were as a baby.”   So I played with my son!  And if I never get the scrapbook done, so be it!  Spending precious time with him is much more important than having a scrapbook of pictures. 

Lately, we’ve had some problems with him waking up in the night after months of sleeping through the night.  We were at a loss as to why, but last week I realized that it’s because he’s been getting cold!  I beefed up his bedding and it’s made a huge difference, but last night at 3:30am he woke up crying.  We usually let him cry for a little while because sometimes he’ll go back to sleep.  Not so last night; I got up and went into his room.  Poor little guy had kicked off all his covers and he was cold!  So I picked him up and snuggled him for a few minutes.  He stopped crying as soon as I picked him up and snuggled right into me.  I can’t even begin to describe how sweet it is to have little arms squeeze me back!  What a precious, precious time!  I stood there next to his crib and just enjoyed the moment, thanking God for the opportunity to hold my son and show him love.  I thought to myself, when I am 50 years old I will be glad that I got up in the middle of the night when my son was crying. I will be glad I didn’t worry about spoiling him. I will never forget how this feels.  After a few minutes, I lay him back down and tucked his blankets around him again.  I patted his back for a few minutes and he went right back to sleep.  I felt like such a blessed woman in that moment!

Never mind that I had a really hard time falling back asleep and I’m incredibly tired today. J  When he’s 30 years old and has kids of his own, I know I will be glad that I got up with him in the middle of the night.

1 comment:

  1. Those moments almost make you cry don't they. They are so poignantly sweet and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!