Sunday, January 9, 2011

String Theory

I read an article recently regarding the String Theory and the 10 dimensions that supposedly exist.  This fascinated me, and filled me with inexplicable wonder and... hope.  There is some part of me that believes there must.be.more. than what I can see with my eyes, smell with my nose, feel with my skin, hear with my ears, and taste with my tongue.  No; that’s not strong enough language.  Every fiber of my being longs for there to be more.

How can I explain this longing?  I have always wanted to be able to fly.  I was fascinated with the story of Peter Pan as a child.  There was nothing I wanted more than to be able to fly.  I didn’t want wings; I just wanted to be able to float.  I dreamed many, many times that I had that ability.  I can still vividly recall the exhilaration I felt in those dreams.  Many people would roll their eyes at all of this, and I know that it sounds extremely odd.  I just always wanted to believe that someday I would be able to fly.  I took this verse literally:

“Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord.” I Thess. 4:17

Of course, this wasn’t some nonsensical idea that I could defy gravity; I was never so naïve as a child as to jump off the roof of the house.  I suppose my common sense reigned over any dream I’ve ever had.  In any case, this deep longing is the only way I can describe how I feel about wanting there to be more.  For me, to fly will be heaven.  I think part of it is the freedom aspect.  Another part of it is being alone with my Lord.  And one last part of it--- the sheer beauty of flight.  Who doesn't long for more beauty in life? I still cling to the belief that I will one day fly, and my soul rejoices in the thought.

Out of curiosity, I did some reading on String Theory and let me tell ya, I’m not even going to pretend to understand Quantum Physics or what a string really is.  I envision it a certain way in my mind that makes sense to me.  Whether or not it would make sense to anyone else is irrelevant.  What IS important, though, is the aspect of it that allows for ten dimensions; THAT is what fascinates me.  We "know" our existence to be in four dimensions: length, depth, width, and time. 

I am aware that there are many who would disagree that there are more dimensions than the four.  But humor me for a moment; what if there are 10 dimensions? (Or 11 as some theories assert?) What fills the other 6 dimensions?  Rather than thinking that additional dimensions disprove a Biblical account of creation (let me state right here and now that I believe the earth was CREATED by God in six days), it gives me hope that perhaps those ten dimensions explain some of the more confusing aspects of life.  What a concept!

The thought that there is more than the "known" four dimensions is such a fulfilling and exhilarating thing to me.  I want to believe that flight is possible for me in another dimension!  What if the spiritual realm exists in another dimension?  This might help our finite minds understand the limitation of time that exists for us but doesn't exist for God.  What if...?  What if...?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!