Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A few thoughts on marriage... FIGHT


I wrote these marriage posts over a year ago. I'm not sure why I didn't post them last year, but life spiraled out of control shortly after I wrote them and I forgot about them until now. A darling young bride asked me to speak at her wedding shower, and I turned my three points into three marriage posts.

I wrestled with God's leading to teach the Sunday School class on Insecurity, but through that experience, I learned that God often uses what we teach others to help US learn. I decided to look at the speaking opportunity as a reminder to myself of the marriage truths I needed most to hear, in the hopes that if it was something beneficial to ME it would be beneficial for others as well.

FIGHT
A dear friend asked me a couple of years ago what my marriage advice was, and I told her one of the biggest things I'd learned was that you have to actively fight for your marriage. There is even a reasonable and good measure of jealousy in a marriage - I'm jealous FOR my husband. I used to think jealousy in marriage was a silly thing. Now I think that righteous jealousy is crucial. 

Marriage is under attack in our culture. I don't have to spout off statistics... you already know someone whose home and heart has been ravaged by divorce.

It takes a lot of spiritual strength to fight for your marriage. We have to put on the whole armor of God (Eph. 6:11). It's important to study the word for God's instructing in becoming a godly wife. The closer you are to God, the better your marriage will be. We have to pray for His help. This shows our dependence upon Him. If we run to HIM with our "ventings" rather than our girlfriends, things will go more smoothly! Part of putting on the whole armor of God is memorizing scripture. There is nothing like the memorized word to fight off temptation and attacks on your marriage!

Our marriages are an opportunity for us to show the world a picture of the love that Christ has for the church. What an awesome privilege and joy!

This is the third in a three-part series on marriage. Click below to view the other posts:
PART I
PART II

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!