Tuesday, April 22, 2014

It All Started When...



You should read It Starts With Food by Doug and Melissa Hartwig. Yes, you. I read it for several reasons, not the least of which is that Modern Mrs. Darcy recommended it. I'm not sure where I first heard about the Whole30, but I know it was sometime in 2013. I was intrigued by its use to pinpoint pesky health issues. By no means do I think that all health issues are food-related, but I do think that more are diet related than we realize.

My sister and I have had a conversation about food numerous times. We have acknowledged that we both have a weakness for emotional eating. You know what I mean - where I might try to soothe myself after a stressful day by buying a pint of ice cream and eating it in one sitting (or just finishing the half gallon that is already in the freezer). There is nothing inherently wrong with ice cream, but there IS a problem when stress or any other emotion is the catalyst for eating ANY kind of food (even if it is just chewing ice)!

This is why I was drawn to It Starts With Food. Their whole eating plan boils down to selecting foods that promote a healthy psychological response, promote a healthy hormonal response, support a healthy gut and support healthy immune function. They then share their reasoning behind limiting (or, more accurately, eliminating) certain foods. It is interesting to note that "stress eating" or any kind of "emotional eating" does not promote a healthy psychological response!

I doubt I will ever agree 100% with any book or author, so I can't say that I agree with all of what the Hartwigs have to say. Much of their "research" appears to be unsubstantiated (and is in direct conflict with the "research" touted by other experts). They actually admit this in the book - they encourage their audience to try their advice for themselves to evaluate its validity. However, I am currently on day 30 of my first Whole30, and I CAN say that I learned a few things about myself and my eating habits that were eye-opening to say the least! Watch for more blog posts on that coming soon! And if you think a Whole30 might be helpful for you, I'm open to any questions about the process. I feel that this book is worth reading and the Whole30 is a worthwhile endeavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!