Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Patience and Careful Instruction (Verse Seven)


My mother-in-law birthed eight boys. One time, she was talking with a young mom who had just found out that her third baby was going to be a third boy. "Did you pray for patience?" My mother-in-law quipped. "Don't pray for patience - God will send you sons!"

Of course, that was in jest, but the fact remains that being a mom does give plenty of opportunities to develop patience, among some other fine character qualities. It is what each mom does with those opportunities that really counts. That is something I think of often since becoming a mom because of a book I read when I was pregnant with Big Brother. A dear lady gave me a book called Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas. His basic premise is that parenting can be used by God as (and is meant to be) part of our sanctification process. Looking at all those sleepless nights, frustrating incidences, endless messes, endless inconveniences as part of my sanctification - as part of dying to self and growing more Christ-like - has radically changed my attitude on more than one occasion.

Still, I struggle to "speak the truth in love" just like the next person. I'm in a constant stream of "teachable moments" right now and it can feel overwhelming. (Let's be honest. Parenting is tough.) I'm taking this verse to heart in regards to my journey as a mom. I had chosen a different verse entirely, but this morning God brought 2 Timothy 4:2 to my attention and I needed this today. I don't think my need for this reminder will be going anywhere anytime soon, so here is my verse seven:

Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage - with great patience and careful instruction. 
II Timothy 4:2



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!