Sunday, March 10, 2013

Getting Lost in the Days

We have been homebound this winter due to the smallest one's tiny immune system. This has been a great thing, to say the least! It has given me much bonding time with Big Brother and The Baby. Big Brother is conquering potty training. The Baby is growing and wrapping us all around his little finger.

I am not a fan of cold weather so it is no punishment for me to stay home when it is windy, cold and snowy! With the amount of snow we have had this year, it's been nice to have an "excuse" to stay in and snuggle!

Big Brother pelting Daddy with snow
I once had a conversation with a family member I hadn't seen in a while, and when I asked him how he'd been, his rueful reply was, "I'm subsisting." Those words have haunted me ever since. He wasn't subsisting in the sense that he barely had the necessities of life; he meant that he was treading water and felt discouraged. I decided on that day that I would never "subsist." I want to actively pursue meaning and learning and growing every day of my life.

One thing I've noticed recently, though, is how easy it is to get lost in the days as they pass, especially when nothing terribly exciting is currently happening. It is easy to allow the hours and days and weeks slip by without even thinking about goals and purpose and worship. It's almost as if you wake up one morning think to yourself, "What am I doing, really?"

It's so important that I remind myself to live purposefully, even in the quiet moments. Boredom is not an option. (I recently read a quote from Beth Moore about boredom: "If we are bored then we may be out of touch with God." It resonated so powerfully with me.) Not getting lost in the days is about making the most of the time I am given, and not wasting an opportunity to bloom where I am... even if that means that the only ones who see the petals are mere babes!

1 comment:

  1. This is especially true for us SAHMs, I think, since it's so easy for us to get caught up in the mundane day-to-day routine.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! I'd love to hear your thoughts on this topic!